Friday 18 December 2009

Backstage at... One Night Of Queen


Setting up right now in the arena is one of the most fun shows of the year tonight: One Night of Queen. The show is fronted by Gary Mullen, who since winning the Stars in Their Eyes final in 2000, has carved out an excellent live career for himself as the mighty Freddie Mercury. One of the few regrets in my life is that I never made it to a Queen concert. I did however come to One Night of Queen last time they were here, and it blew me away. His performance is so astonishing and accurate that Brian May himself has written that Gary bears a remarkable likeness to Freddie, in more than just voice and appearance on stage.



I’m unfortunately unable to come tonight, which was already a shame. However, I’ve just learnt about something special for this evening, which is leaving me feeling gutted right now:



I know from conversations with Gary how much he genuinely enjoys his performances at Plymouth Pavilions. We’re the biggest venue he plays on his tour, and the crowd are always fantastic. As a way of making it a great night tonight for those of you coming for a Christmas night out, he has added something special for one night only: he will be joined on stage by opera star Ruth Kerr, to perform a special rendition of Barcelona, the song that Mercury had a massive hit with Montserrat CaballĂ« in 1987.



If you’re going to be here tonight, I’m extremely jealous – you’re in for a right royal treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment